Just wanted to pass on some wonder feed back from an herb that I started to take. Turmeric has done wonders for me and my
friends. I have read some articles in the local health section in my paper about its affect on joints and arthritis. Plus that no one in
India has problems with Alzheimer’s disease because of the use of this herb was also an incentive to try it. Usually my knees grind and
crack due to I usually landed on them as a kid falling off of my bike and bumping into things with them. So I went to the local store and
picked up a bottle. Took one in the afternoon, my knees have not grind or crack since. The relief was that day and I have not stopped
taking it since. One of my friends has problems with the cold weather and has pains and stiffness in her body from it. She decided to try
it and it worked wonderfully. I guess what I am told and read you can take up to 1000 mg of it. She takes that much but I only take one
capsule a day which is 450 mg. I feel great! Also no longer does my wrist crack - due to being a massage therapist.
Here is some information that I found on the web about it and its benefits.
- Turmeric has been used for over 2500 years in India.
- It is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent, useful in disinfecting cuts and burns.
- When combined with cauliflower, it has shown to prevent prostate cancer and stop the growth of existing prostate cancer.
- Prevented breast cancer from spreading to the lungs in mice.
- May prevent melanoma and cause existing melanoma cells to commit suicide.
- Reduces the risk of childhood leukemia.
- Is a natural liver detoxifier.
- May prevent and slow the progression of Alzheimer's disease by removing amyloidal plaque buildup in the brain.
- May prevent metastases from occurring in many different forms of cancer.
- It is a potent natural anti-inflammatory that works as well as many anti-inflammatory drugs but without the side effects.
- Has shown promise in slowing the progression of multiple sclerosis in mice.
- Is a natural painkiller and cox-2 inhibitor.
- May aid in fat metabolism and help in weight management.
- Has long been used in Chinese medicine as a treatment for depression.
- Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, it is a natural treatment for arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Boosts the effects of chemo drug paclitaxel and reduces its side effects.
- Promising studies are underway on the effects of turmeric on pancreatic cancer.
- Has been shown to stop the growth of new blood vessels in tumors.
- Speeds up wound healing and assists in remodeling of damaged skin.
- May help in the treatment of psoriasis and other inflammatory skin conditions.
- Scientists have discovered a unique substance in turmeric, called lipopolysacharide, which has shown the ability to heighten the
activity and effectiveness of the immune system. Also under investigation is the active ingredient curcumin, which is proven to
increase bile production and also helps to purge the gallbladder. Turmeric may also help protect the liver, battle tumors, fight
inflammation and even kills some infections entirely.
- Chinese and Ayurvedic medical tradition has long used turmeric as a treatment for many conditions. Studies show that the spice is
useful in many medical capacities; its anti-inflammatory properties make turmeric excellent for treating both osteoarthritis and
- Turmeric also has anti-fungal properties, and The World Health Organization has recommended its use because studies in China
proved that consumption of turmeric as a food seasoning lowered participants cholesterol levels.
- They mention that a reported health benefit of turmeric is arthritis treatment, but also mention that beneficial effects have been
reported in the treatment of allergy, asthma, atherosclerosis, heart disease, Alzheimer, diabetes, Crohns disease and cancer.
- Treating digestive disorders -Digestive System health benefit of turmeric: Curcumin induces the flow of bile which breaks down
fats. In one study, turmeric extract protected against the damage caused by medications like reserpine and indomethacin. Another
recent study concluded that turmeric may help reduce the pain and irritation experienced by patients with irritable bowel
- As an anti-inflammatory agent (e.g. treatment of osteoarthritis ; reduction of swelling in joints and pain)
- Treatment of arteriosclerosis; may cause a reduction in bad cholesterol that can lead to blockage of the arteries.
- Preliminary studies suggest a potential treatment for certain cancers; breast, colon, prostate and skin (only low-quality studies in
humans have been conducted)
- Reducing activity of roundworms and intestinal worms
- Protection from liver disease
- Preventing bacterial infection in wounds - Antibacterial health benefit of turmeric: The volatile oils in turmeric seem to offer anti-
bacterial protection when applied topically to injuries to the skin.
- Healing wounds
- Eye disorder possible (natural) treatment for uveitis
- Cardiac health benefit of turmeric: The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of curcumin combine to help keep the heart
healthy, scientists speculate. In several studies, patients treated with curcumin showed less plaque buildup in the arteries. A study
in India confirmed that turmeric has beneficial effects on heart functioning in patients recovering from myocardial infarction.
- Cancer health benefit of turmeric: There is mounting evidence that turmeric extract with curcumin fights skin cancer and breast
cancer. It may also reduce the incidence of colon cancer and prostate cancer.
Contraindications: Turmeric should not be used by people with gallstones or bile obstruction. Though turmeric is often used by pregnant
women, it is important to consult with a doctor before doing so as turmeric can be a uterine stimulant.