|The first chakra is called the root, base and or Muladhara in Sanskrit. It is located from the pelvic bone to about two to three inches below
the tail bone. The color red is associated with this energy center.
This chakra is our grounding and survival energy for living here on earth. The earth element is associated to this center. We ground our
energies to the earth through this chakra. Our beginning years are within this center, it will contain a great deal of information on our
family values, the way we were raised and our true personality. It contains our earthly needs and desires to exist on earth.
When the chakras are functioning normally, each will be open, spinning to metabolize the particular energies needed from the universal
energy field. A continuous balance between the chakras promotes health and a sense of well being. Each chakra vibrates or rotates at a
different speed. The root or first chakra rotates at the slowest speed, the crown or seventh chakra at the highest speed.
Grounding your energies to the earth is very important. It keeps the individual centered, stable and clears negative energy. Also, allows
the chi energy to flow freely through the channels.
Within the first chakra we can find information about the individual on; core beliefs, emotions that they have and dealing with, situations,
how they react to emotions and the environment around them, physical issues, their strengths and weaknesses.
The following is an overview of what can be housed within the chakra.
It contains our worthiness of life and what life has to offer us. Our foundation and structure how we believe things should be.
Our reaction to situations and others:
This is where we have our primary feelings, reactions and feelings towards others and in life as a whole.
The first chakra is where all of our deep passions and desires are. Our need for food, material things, housing, careers, finances and
anything that is connected to the material world. Good health and vitality. The feeling of trust, prosperity, safety and security.
Body parts and organs:
Legs, feet, coccyx of the spine, gonads, ovaries, the skin, the circulatory system and the reproductive system.
Development of this chakra on a spiritual level:
Within this energy center is the ability to tap into our own past life talents. Full development of all the chakras, the kundalini energy will
start to activate. The kundalini is sometimes referred to as the serpent energy.
Some of the signs that the base chakra is blocked are:
- Feelings of being not grounded or connected to the earth.
- You may feel that you do not belong here or connected to anyone or anything.
- The feelings of unsure, insecure, fearful of situations and issues of; finances, housing and career.
- Having any type of addictions or compulsions.
- You may be absorbed by protecting your own interests, over greedy, and with little concern for how it will affect everyone else.
- Your thoughts and actions primarily revolve around material possessions and security.
- You may have feelings of being afraid of life and feel like a victim.
- You may believe that your social status is more important to you than anything else is. No one else below your status or income is
better than you are.
Read more about the blocks and what is affected by it in the base chakra, click here
Crystals can be used to either develop or heal this energy center:
Ruby, hematite, garnet, jasper, obsidian, apatite, black tourmaline, smoky quartz, tiger’s eye
Affirmations for the first chakra:
- I am secure and stable.
- I accept control over my life only and allow others to be their own selves.
- Everyday I discover how wonderful I am.
- I accept freely abundance to enter within my own life.
Setu Bandhasana or the Bridge
Mantra / Sound
Lam / O (note)
Essential Oils to use for healing or development:
Patchouli, cedar wood and sandalwood. Any woodsy and earthly essential oils work well with the first chakra.